"Tom Brownrigg is a terrific lawyer and excellent mediator. He has a real passion for what he does but is also down-to-earth and accessible."
Legal 500 2021
Tel: 020 7608 4588
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Thomas is a partner, accredited mediator and collaborative lawyer in Goodman Ray’s Finance and Private Children Department. He was made a Partner at Goodman Ray in November 2018.
Thomas specialises in any issues arising from the breakdown of a relationship between married couples, civil partners and unmarried couples. These may be discussing any division of individual or joint assets, where any children should live or how they should proceed with a divorce.
Tom advises a variety of individuals on financial matters. He often represents client with a high earning capacity and those with a high net worth. He regularly advises on complex issues, including business interests, asset protection, inheritance, trusts or overseas assets. Many of his cases have an international element and he is able to assist in advising on Spanish assets in particular as he speaks Spanish.
Tom regularly deals with children disputes between parents or other family members, including when one parent may wish to leave England or Wales, or if a child has been abducted and taken overseas.
Tom focuses on trying to resolve matters without going to Court wherever possible, and establishing a dialogue between parties, as this often results in a far more amicable settlement for a family. He prefers to take a ‘hands on’ approach to negotiating settlements. This stems from his work as a mediator. This is not always possible though, and Tom is also an experienced litigator.
Tom has been an accredited by the Family Mediation Council to undertake All Issues Mediation, and is trained to see children in mediation. He conducts mediation for a variety of different individuals regarding both children and financial issues, and is a big proponent of the mediation process for resolving family disputes. He is able to conduct MIAMs as well as mediations.
He is also a Resolution Accredited Specialist in Complex Financial and Property Matters for high income households or where there are substantial assets. This is in addition to being accredited for Children Law where there are disputes between parents or relatives.
Tom joined Goodman Ray’s Divorce and Matrimonial Finance Department in August 2015, having spent over 4 years working at a family firm in the West End. He studied Law and Spanish at the University of Sheffield and is a fluent Spanish speaker having also studied Law at The University of Granada in Spain. He qualified as a solicitor in November 2009 after training and subsequently being taken on as a solicitor at a regional firm in Yorkshire. Tom works in both our Brighton and London offices.
Directories and Awards
- Legal 500 2021 (as a solicitor and a mediator, and listed as a Next Generation Partner):
- “Thomas Brownrigg is a strong legal presence. He is a powerhouse of legal knowledge and client management”;
- “Goodman Ray is an excellent team with very strong capability across children and finances. Tom Brownrigg is a terrific lawyer and excellent mediator. He has a real passion for what he does but is also down-to-earth and accessible”;
- “Thomas Brownrigg is meticulous in his preparation and has a very good tactical knowledge”.
- “Tom Brownrigg is dedicated, bright and approachable. He manages high-stress situations with admirable calm and is able to reassure the most anxious of clients with his straightforward and empathetic manner”
- Legal 500 2020 (as a solicitor and a mediator):
- “Thomas Brownrigg is very switched-on.”
- “an excellent mediator, capable of dealing with extremely complex financial situations including significant overseas assets”;
- “practical, scrupulously fair mediator who you would trust on the most complex matters”;
- “a safe pair of hands”.
- Spears 500 2020: Recommended Family Lawyer
- CityWealth Leaders List 2020: “
- “I found him to be professional at all times, courteous and thorough; skills which I feel enabled us to both work towards a common goal and achieve a fair settlement for our respective clients in a timely manner without the need for Court intervention”. Citywealth peer review
- “I regularly refer clients to Thomas for mediation – he has a very good track record and excellent interpersonal skills, and superb technical knowledge and detail.” Citywealth peer review
- CityWealth Future Leaders Awards (Associate Family Solicitor)- Shortlisted 2017 and 2018. Top 100 2018
- Accredited by the Family Mediation Council for All Issues Mediation and
- Accredited by the Family Mediation Council for Child Inclusive Mediation
- Resolution Accreditation for: Complex Financial and Property Matters (high income households and substantial assets); Children Law (Disputes between parents or relatives)
- Awarded Help and Support for Separated Families Mark in 2019
- Resolution qualified Collaborative Lawyer in March 2020
- “Thanks once again for all your hard work which was always appreciated by me and my son.” Client.
- “The real thanks should go to you for your preparation and presentation of the case throughout” Barrister.
- “Thank you for all your help at the beginning of the year. It was a very difficult/stressful time for myself. You handled the whole situation with such kindness and understanding”. Mediation client
- The Queen’s Speech and Brexit  FAM LAW 802
- Brexit and Family Law  Fam Law 1169
- The use and evolution of mediation in child abduction cases in Europe, and England and Wales  IFL 209
- Only Mums and Dads book “101 Questions Answered About Separation With Children”. Article on “How can technology help parents and children cope after separation”
- Resolution Review Articles: “Innovation in family law, and how it can help you and your clients”; Reviews of innovative tools to assist family lawyers.
- Thomas quoted in articles in in: Daily Telegraph; Huffington Post; Marie Claire; Yahoo; LV.
Other Family Law roles
- Co-chair: Resolution’s Innovation Committee